Monday, March 10, 2008

All work and no play...

This week was supposed to be the week.  My studio had been climbing up the charts, I was on the brink of becoming the highest grossing studio, and then, in dramatic fashion, everything came crumbling down.  

It all started with my lead actress.  She was apparently so overworked, that she needed to spend her time in the bar to get herself through each shoot.  Eventually, this led to a severe drinking problem and a trip to the on-site rehab facility, where she was ordered to stay for 12 months.  So, shooting on one of my films was halted...not such a big deal.

Then a director went down.  Two of my actors were so angry about not having a quality trailer to stay in, so they basically showed up to the set whenever they wanted to.  So, as time kept ticking by, and none of my movies were being made, I began bleeding money.

Currently, I am over 1 million dollars in debt.  

Interestingly enough, I am not tempted to start my game over.  Do I smell immersion and engagement?  For some reason, I am fully committed to my sinking ship and determined to bring my crumbling empire back to it's former glory.  Everyone loves a good "underdog" story, don't they?

Thinking about this week's topic of gender, while I have generally been falling into the "boy" category when it comes to my gaming, one area in which I represent the ladies is with my need for advanced preparation.  When working on our presentation, Jonas and I had an interesting conversation about out initial interactions with the game.  I explained that before beginning, I read the game manual cover to cover...he seemed shocked that such a manual even existed.  (Odd how the boy scouts claim to "always be prepared.")  Joanne touched on this theme in her blog post this week, comparing her need to always know what is going to happen next with her (male) gaming buddy's love of the unexpected.  I found it interesting when connected this aspect to an emotional connection to the game.  I had never really thought of that, but in trying to pinpoint the reason why I felt the need to read the manual, I realized that it was because I was predicting that my satisfaction would come from doing a good job, not from exploring the game.  




No comments: